Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Portrait and Step-By-Step Demo



This is my friend Jacquelynne, whom I've painted before. Her mother commissioned a series of three portraits, this being the second one. It's oil on linen, 18x30". I had the lame-brained idea of taking photos during each sitting, partially due to some requests, but also to be able to look back in time and evaluate my own progress on the painting. Since this painting turned out ok, I added some commentary to the photos. Hope somebody can get something out of it.
Bottom picture is one I like to take just for my own records. Sorry for the bad photo. She was NOT happy wearing that dress!

12 Comments:

Blogger Manoj Sinha said...

Hi Marco
It is very helpful for me, i will try to follow your steps. Mean while I added your blog as my favorites. Thanks for your demo.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

I always learn something from your tutorials, and it's definitely nice to see how other artists work.

Great painting, too! You really captured her likeness from the start.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Amok said...

excellent! just what i needed to see. Excellent painting once again Marco. Save image as...

11:07 AM  
Blogger RAWLS said...

Yo Marco! This is great my friend! Beautiful work. The pics with commentary look like they're from a book! ....a book Marco, a book!
hint hint.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Dominic Philibert said...

Thanx Marco!
Wow! I agree with Rawls
What a great step by step.
Love the way you're putting your strokes!

12:46 PM  
Blogger michael mikolon said...

Nice job, i love the way you did the background.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Matt Ryder said...

Another beautiful painting, and a great step by step. Thanks for posting this Marco

11:11 PM  
Blogger Schulz'y said...

Very nice. Thanks for the demo. Very interesting seeing the steps / process.

12:29 PM  
Blogger David Colman said...

fantastic..I envy your skill w/a brush

1:03 PM  
Blogger Hoon said...

Beautiful man! really good job!

7:09 PM  
Blogger David Lobenberg said...

Thanks for this prog. layout. I had to do watercolor full figure portraits of individual players on the Sacramento Kings basketball team of 2000/01. I started each one with the head figuring if I screwed up there, I wouldn't have wasted much time. Then I progressed to the jersey, arms and legs, shoes, and basketball in that order.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Michael Pieczonka said...

really nice job Marco. Great play by play breakdown too!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home