Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Colour Studies from Life

In my demo, I rather aggressively stated that I believe the best way to learn about colour is by studying directly from nature. So here are some crude plein air quick sketches. What I like about doing these is that drawing precision is really not important. Something as simple as a garbage can or a tree stump presents the same colour challenge as a human figure (maybe even more, because the light is moving away quickly). Not only will these add tremendously to your understanding of colour and light, but nothing's more fun than getting out there and splashing paint around!

10 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

Your eye for color is amazing and really adds life to rather static objects! I love how every picture reads very quickly, even as tiny thumbnails. I wish I had the time to take some paints outside and practice. :(

11:34 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

crude??????

they are beautiful. I am almost inpsired to go outside and paint myself... pity its so cold over here...

4:21 AM  
Blogger RAWLS said...

Splashing paint around is fun!! Great job my friend!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Jörn said...

Man, you're right! The only thing that keeps me away of walking outside now is the f*** lasting rain.
Very nice pictures.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Sylvia Jenstad said...

I agree.... really cool... I also love Demo!...Wow

9:46 AM  
Blogger Dillon Thompson said...

Amazing paints. I like the pink bits of color contrast to the greens on the church building.

11:37 AM  
Blogger moon acbo said...

Amazing..paints....beautiful..Have a nice day!!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Dominic Philibert said...

Awesome painting!
Love your brush work!!!!!
Love the colors too!!!!!!!!!!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Joseph Lee said...

Beautiful studies! Makes me want to get out there and do it myself!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Dan Elder said...

Awesome, and I couldnt agree more.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home