Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sargent Study - Final

A follow up to this post.
In keeping with Sargent's method of painting, this was done Alla Prima. It's oil on 12x16" linen canvas. The biggest challenge while painting this was trying to make each brushstroke driven by draughtsmanship. This was difficult because I'm not a master draughtsman yet. But I tried to sum up everything I knew and could observe from Sargent's portrait in simple brushstrokes, and then not fuss over them. My natural tendancy is always to lay something down and then go over it again. I tried to step back often to evaluate where the next brushstroke needed to go, and basically built up the painting in large, impasto patches of value/colour until the canvas was covered. This was probably the biggest learning experience I've had as a painter!
Click here for a high-res photo.

9 Comments:

Blogger Laura Williams said...

You did a great job! Looks like you managed to work well with Sargent's technique.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Pointpusher said...

Whoa! This is so great, and I agree with Laura. It just "feels" like a Sargent. Great great job, and thanks for the note. I'll be checking back here for doses of inspiration regularly.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Mark Behm said...

Great study!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

What an amazing work! I just love this! Huge talent.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love this painting. You did a very good job with the brushstrokes. Also love your version of Sargent ;-D

10:29 AM  
Blogger Todd Harris said...

Great job on this as always. Amazing job man!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Lauren Kate said...

Wow great work!
I love learning new techniques and you have been very brave woth this one! It has really payed off for you though - it looks fabulous :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

This is really great Marco, coming along with your painting for SURE!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

Superb job !!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home